Here are 25 preposition collocations you should know. Test yourself and find out which ones you know, and which ones you still need to practice.
Instructions: For each number, decide which preposition is missing from the collocation.
1. Depression is something that many people suffer ___.
2. My wife and I couldn’t agree ___ a name for our child.
3. I prefer cold pizza ___ any other type of breakfast.
4. Who is responsible ___ creating your work schedule?
5. My sister always blamed me ___ the house being a mess.
6. I will discuss your proposal ___ my manager and then get back to you.
7. I tried to prevent the accident ____ happening.
8. What university did you graduate ____?
9. Rodrigo insisted ____ paying for dinner.
10. Many psychologists help their patients cope ____ loss.
11. Are certain students exempt ____ the application fee?
12. How much time do you spend per day responding ____ emails from customers?
13. It was a big win for our team, and everyone contributed ____ the effort.
14. My father does not approve ____ my smoking.
15. Some people admire me ____ always speaking my mind.
16. This breed of dog is prone ____ arthritis.
17. I don’t know what I’d do if I were deprived ____ social media.
18. Several of my classmates are recovering ____ the flu.
19. Please refrain ____ chewing gum in class.
20. My cell phone carrier claims its coverage is superior ____ its competitors’ coverage.
21. Please abstain ____ drinking alcohol while taking this medication.
22. I was very fond ____ animals when I was a child. I wanted to be a veterinarian.
23. Using sign language, primates are capable ____ communicating with humans.
24. Successful people don’t get discouraged ____ an initial lack of success.
25. Studies show people with light eyes are more sensitive ____ light.