This is the third practice exercise in a series of exercises on preposition collocations.
Test yourself below and see which collocations you know, and which ones you need to practice.
Instructions: For each number, decide which preposition is missing from the collocation.
1. Carla wants to name her son ____ her grandfather, but her husband wants to give their child an original name.
2. For many years, females in tech fields were made to feel inferior ____ their male counterparts.
3. Some athletes object ____ answering personal questions during interviews.
4. It took many years for Spencer to be able to joke ____ his failed career as a singer.
5. I look identical ____ my older brother. Some people think we’re twins.
6. It seems like all these tech companies are intent ____ collecting our personal data and selling it.
7. People who invested ____ Bitcoin in 2009 no longer have to work.
8. Don’t just punish you kids for bad behavior—praise them ____ positive behavior too.
9. Frank was engaged ____ his fiancée for two years before he got married.
10. If you are absent ____ class, please get the notes from a classmate.
11. Do all minors have to be accompanied ____ an adult on international flights?
12. Companies that are cruel ____ animals will never get my business.
13. Some well-known people, including Drew Barrymore, have converted ____ Judaism.
14. For whatever reason, a larger percentage of children are now allergic ____ peanuts.
15. My grandmother always kept her cash in the freezer because she felt that it would never occur ____ thieves to check the freezer for valuables.
16. Hip hop artists often collaborate ____ other artists.
17. The average voter isn’t aware ____ the complexities of this issue.
18. By age 40, I was certain ____ myself and my place in the world.
19. Great professional athletes are indifferent ____ criticism from fans.
20. iPhone sales account ____ almost 70% of Apple’s revenue.
21. Most restaurants don’t charge ____ refills on drinks.
22. I’m sure his attorney won’t comment ____ the case.
23. Many people are proud of their countries but ashamed ____ their governments.
24. Who did you bet ____ in the Super Bowl?
25. These craters were formed when asteroids crashed ____ the surface of the planet.
For more practice, see the Practice Exercise section of the site.